September 2015: objects

House blazer badge

Blazer Badge

From the 1950s through to the 1990s all new boys displayed their house colours on their blazers, the cross potent embroidered with the relevant distinctive colours.

Read More

Cranleigh Locomotive

The name plate from the locomotive named after the School now hangs in the Redgrave Room. The engine itself was one of 39 built at Eastleigh for Southern Railway between 1930 and 1935 which were named after famous public schools.

Read More

1 North Key

A ceremonial key used for the official opening of 1 North by Lord Tangley of Blackheath, the chairman of the Council, on September 21, 1965, the first day of the Michaelmas Term.

Read More
Cranleigh Toye


The first reference to a special work area for senior boys, which were the forerunners of toyes, came as early as 1886.

Read More
Henry Woodyer - 1864 stone carving


Henry Woodyer, the architect of the original School buildings, did not leave foundation stones in his buildings, preferring to much simpler marks. At Cranleigh there are two simple stone engravings

Read More

Post Box

Installed outside the main doors to Hall in 1873, the wooden box was much used for decades when writing letters was the only means boys had with communicating with the outside world.

Read More
Fountain at Cranleigh around 1905


To commemorate Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee in 1887 the school commissioned Henry Woodyer to design a drinking fountain on the Common

Read More
King of Ranleigh - book

King of Ranleigh

In 1912 Fredrick Brereton (East 1890), an author of stories for boys whose plots usually took place in a war setting, published King of Ranleigh, a ripping yarn set at a fictional public school.

Read More