May 1867

On May 3 the Bishop of Winchester confirmed 29 boys at the Village church. After the Confirmation, part of Handel’s Messiah was performed in the Dining Hall, which at that time was still in the room which is now the Williams Library. The audience consisted of the members of the School and most of the gentlemen and ladies of the village and neighbourhood.

The cricket XI played two matches on the Common, losing both. Against a strong XI raised by Charles Sapte, the son of the rector of Cranleigh and one of the School’s founders, the School were bowled out for 28 and 27. In the second game, against the Village, the School fared little better, making 47 and 43, although when the Village batted Hadji Stevens took eight wickets.